Confused whether a full-sized stroller would fit in the airplane overhead bin? Consider travel strollers that are best for traveling. What is a travel stroller? And why consider buying it? For a long travel, a cheap and ultra-lightweight umbrella stroller may not be the best option, since it does not pack the bells and whistles required for travel. If you are a frequent traveler with your baby, a travel stroller is the go-to baby gear to own!
Best for travel: Umbrella Strollers Vs. Travel Strollers
Since, umbrella strollers are lightweight, portable, and easy-to-use strollers. Many parents may lean towards umbrella strollers for travel. But these umbrella strollers are usually built for shopping, or short trips and lack of features such as a large storage basket, child tray, parent console, organizers etc. essential for travelling.
On the other hand, travel strollers are parred down version of a full-sized stroller, including all the necessary amenities must-have for travel purposes and at the same time offer benefits of a umbrella stroller brings: lightweight and compact folding.
Why Do You Need a Travel Stroller?
Many parents opt for a traditional stroller for everything, even traveling. But a lite, more agile travel stroller makes it more practical: for airports, airplane storage, narrow walkways, public transportation.
Still not convinced whether you need a separate travel stroller? Let’s go through the pros and cons of three major types of strollers assuming you travel too often:
- Everyday strollers with lots of storage and great features
- It comes with large canopies
- Some may also have all-terrain wheels
- Some have room for an infant car seat or bassinet
- Typically, it is heavy and bulky
- Not easy to fold
- It does not fit in narrow spaces, airplane overhead bins, or small car trunks
- Easy to fold and carry
- Fit in narrow spaces, easily fits on airplane overhead bins
- Non adjustable seats and cup holders
- Comes with short canopy
- Seat is less comfortable
- Not easy to drive with one-hand
- Most strollers are not compatible with adequate storage, parent console etc.
- Lightweight stroller specially designed for travel purposes
- Easy to fold and compact in size while collapsed
- Travel strollers feature most of the full-size amenities like extended sun canopies, spacious storage, and cup holder for parents
- A bit expensive than umbrella strollers
Think again, how frequently you travel? Will it be worthy to spend on a travel stroller?
What to Look up in a Travel Stroller?
Provided that, you need a travel stroller, what should you consider before buying? Here are some important things to consider before buying a travel stroller:
Lightweight strollers are most convenient for travel purposes. Typically travel stroller means lightweight regular strollers. While traveling, the light the gears is the better, right? A baby stroller is typically heavy to carry on. But among them, lighter travel strollers are specifically built for long distance hassle-free travel and transportation.
- Comfortable seat
Padded and reclining seat is comfortable for babies. While on a travel, the baby might have to sit on the stroller for a long period. A comfortable seat with padded, comfortable harness is desirable from a travel stroller. Most of the travel stroller seats can be reclined in 3-positions.
- Compact and easy-to-fold
During travel, you may need to change transportation frequently. More often than ever, you will be fold and unfold the stroller. A stroller that easily folds into a compact shape will make your life easier. Most travel strollers folds easily and designed to fold into a compact shape.
- Extendable canopy
Travelling means soaking up sunshine, traveling with baby can be challenging in normal to extreme heat. An extendable canopy that offers full coverage is what you should look for while buying a travel stroller. Its a must-have feature for traveling with a stroller. Check if there is enough ventilation and peek-a-boo window is an added perks to interact with your baby.
- Spacious storage
During travel, we need to carry a lot of stuffs like baby essentials, tour amenities with us. A spacious basket underneath the stroller will spare you from carrying an extra baggage. Extra baggage means extra hassle, who wants that? Make sure your stroller has a basket with adequate weight capacity.
How to Fly with a Stroller
Carrying a stroller on road trips is challenging. How about bringing a stroller during a flight? Will it be added with your carry-on and luggage allocation? What if you packed the stroller, yet have to use it at the airport? The answer is you can do that! There are a few options:
- Check stroller as baggage: Many parents use the stroller during check-in and move up for a baby carrier while at the airport. In case you have a large stroller, it may add to your baggage. Note that a lightweight travel stroller will not add up to your baggage allocation.
- Check the stroller at the gate: You may need to use the stroller till they board the plane. In this case, you should check the stroller with the gate agent and get it tagged. If you got a connecting flight on the way, hold back for your stroller on the jet bridge would spoil your time.
- On board the stroller on the airplane: Many travel strollers are compact-fold that they fit easily in the overhead bin. If you can carry the stroller with you will save waiting time to get it on the jet bridge.
What is a Travel Stroller: Wrapping up
Traveling with little ones tricky enough, a stroller may be pile-on! But we stroller makes life easy on travel, If You have a lot of things to carry with you while traveling, that’s why I recommend using a lightweight travel strollers. You will love a lightweight and compact fold and feature-packed travel stroller for the convenience it can bring for travelling long distances.
Related Posts What is a Jogger Stroller? What Is An All-Terrain Stroller? What Is An Umbrella Stroller?
I research, test, review, and recommend the best products. My content is intended for informational and educational purposes only. If you buy something through links, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Stroller Insider is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As Amazon Associates, we earn from qualifying purchases.